Modern Foreign Languages
“Understanding, valuing and participating in a world without borders.”
Learning a foreign language provides an opening to cultures and places beyond our
own: Our aim is to provide a high-quality languages education that fosters curiosity and
deepens the knowledge of the world for all learners. Students will follow a language-learning
journey enabling them to communicate and express their ideas and opinions in another
language. We believe that learning and practising a foreign language is not only challenging
and rewarding in itself, but once you have it, linguistic power opens up a whole world of
opportunities and experiences for you. We aim to equip all learners to be successful linguists
and to develop an interest and enthusiasm for other cultures and languages.
The courses taught within each Key Stage are outlined below. If you have any further queries, please email email@example.com
Please note that this email address is not monitored daily but we will endeavour to reply within 3 working days.
- Y7 – Introducing myself, School, Free Time, My Family and Friends, Holiday project
- Y8 – Holidays, Celebrations, Where I live, Sport
- Y9 – Healthy Lifestyles, Future plans, Who am I, Film Study – les Chorists, French Revolution project
- Y7 – This is me, Family and Friends, Free time, German Christmas Project
- Y8 – Where I live, My Holidays, Healthy Lifestyles, My Home and Daily Routine, German Easter Project
- Y9 - School life, My role models, Work and Future Plans, Free time (music, TV and a Film study – Das Wunder von Bern), Divided Germany – the Berlin Wall
- Y7 – My Life, My Free Time, My School, South American Countries – an Introduction
- Y8 – My Family and Friends, My City, My Holidays, My Daily Life, Festivals Project
- Y9 – Celebrations, Healthy Lifestyles, Film Project los voces inocentes, Holidays, School life
How to help
Vocabulary learning homework will be set once a fortnight. Click on the relevant Language and year group to download vocabulary documentation.
Vocabulary lists can be found here for;
|Year 7 Vocab|
|Year 8 Vocab||Year 8 Vocab|
|Year 9 Vocab||Year 9 Vocab|
here will be a creative homework for each unit of work.
There are takeaway menus where you can find extra fun languages tasks and projects for;
We study the AQA GCSE course at KS4.
There are three themes. These are the same for French, German and Spanish.
Theme 1: Identity and culture
- Communication technology
- Free time
- Festivals and traditions
Theme 2: Local, national, global areas of interest
- Home town
- Healthy lifestyles
- Environmental issues
- Social issues
Theme 3: Future
- Future plans
There are 4 exams:
- Speaking 25%
- Writing 25%
- Listening 25%
- Reading 25%
How to Help
Active Learn – see your teacher for details
Students are advised to purchase the 5-1-day vocabulary cards from the Print Room
There will be opportunities to go on the Spanish or German exchange
KS5 Modern Foreign Languages
- Aspects of society and current trends
- Artistic culture
- Aspects of political life
See attached links for further details of the content –
Paper 1: Listening, Reading and Writing
Listening and reading to a range of authentic sources, summaries and translation skills are tested, as well as comprehension.
Paper 2: Writing
Essays written on the book and the film studied.
Paper 3: Speaking
Discussion of one theme and an independent research project on a topic of the student’s choice
How to Help
Trips are run to Germany and France to enhance subject knowledge.
Work experience opportunities are also offered for all three languages.
Students need to immerse themselves in the language and culture of their chosen language as much as possible, turning their phone into German or their Netflix account into Spanish, listening to French radio and reading as widely as possible.
Students should buy the Grammar book, as recommended by their teacher
They will be given access to a digital version of the text book with online exercises and exam practice.